Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Inspiring names

I was reading a race report from the Taupo Half ironman and kept thinking that branded races are taking the flare of race naming. From the name of the race I can gather It was a half iron distance triathlon raced in taupo. It could tell me more.

Let's be a bit more clear...the name of a race says a fair bit about it. For example, The Ironman, is quite a descriptive name. But The Half Ironman... mmmm not so much. I mean... it is a full race, why call it half ironman? The alternative of 70.3 is not great either... it is a mere description of the amount of miles you've done, it takes the epic sense away.

Let's draw a parallel, whould you take a train that is called "London/Edingburgh" or would you rather ride "The Flying Scotsman"? I know where I'd put my money.

Naming is not just liking a word to a thing, it is way more than that and race naming should be taken as seriously as race organizing (well... not so much.. but it would be so cool if it happened). The names of the races should be more than a reference to the distance and where it was held... let's hope it gets a bit more creative in the future.

And here's my two cents. I've named the training sessions for my the holiday:




m
t
w
t
f
s
s

19
20
21
22
23
24
25


The great stretcher
The gentlemen’s TT
The final crash
the big easy
The parnell 5 K'yer
Santa’s big ride
the hangover cure

AM
Pool Swim
Off
Off
1 hr run
swim squad 5k
150k ride + Run off
1:30 run

PM
Off
Gents TT
Off
Working at SSS
45min run
 OFF
sea swim


26
27
28
29
30
31
1


the airporter
the battle of Omaha
The Thorpedo
the west coaster
the top up
The well deserved hike


AM
Ride 3hr + Run off
Trail Run (2.5hr)
Ultra swim (7 to 10km)
180km bike - 45min run off
2:00 run
OFF
OFF

PM
Off
Off
OFF
off
sea swim
OFF
OFF




No comments:

Post a Comment